Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default sewing desk plans

Wed, Oct 11, 2006, 9:43pm (EDT+4)
(speedbuggy) doth queryeth:
Anyone know of a good sewing machine desk plan. snip end up smashing
you knees on when you use it as a desk. My mom had on when I was a kid,
it was pretty slick.

At least you googled, so many don't.

My ex had one, that was close to what you want. I thinkk. The top
folded to the left. Then you lifted a hinged section up, pulled the
sewing machine up - on a hinged section also. Lay the first section
back down, lower the sewing machine until its hinged section rests on
ithe first section. Viola, that's it.

When you put it away you pushed the sewing machine back, lifting
the front section up enough so you can raise it out of the way. Lowev
the seewing machine down until it stops, then lower the front section
down. then fold the to over the sewing machine. That's it. She never
used it as a desk, but it would have been entiredly practical to use it
as a small desk, as I recall your knees would have been below the sewing
machine. It didn't hang stright down, but at an angle. Very simple,
quite foolproof, works.

I'd say check thrift shops until you found one you liked, probably
get one for $5-$10. Then copy the workings of it. Put however many
drawers you want in it. You could make it wider, but I wouldn't change
it front to rear much, might make it too mard to reach for sewing. Don'
need no steenkin' plans.

Oh yes, be sure to make it out of cherry, that always makes for
nice furniture. Then pick a really nice color and paint it.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax