Posted to rec.woodworking
John \(aka wheelzuk\) John \(aka wheelzuk\) is offline

Default sewing desk plans

Hi Speedbuggy,

I'd like to suggest you maybe Google for Singer Sewing Machines circa 1920 to 1965 for potential photographs of the type of table/desk your Mom had when you were younger.

Machines these days are considerably larger than their ancient forebearers, I'm not sure you'd manage to comfortably fit one into a similar table to the ones I certainly remember from childhood.

It might be worth looking at the mechanisms connected with pocket door technology, to see if they'll readilly convert to some sort of platform idea, that can be raised from the back/internals of a table and the base inserted into a cutout space on the table top? I have something in mind similar to the block of wood/ply that a mitre saw sits on, on a metal saw stand. The difference being, this could be moved back and inverted to be stored away, using heavy duty drawer runners, or other similar mechanism? I was able to find some simpler desk type cabinets on a UK site at
http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co....tos/horn7a.gif
I specifically chose this picture, because it has measurements provided, there are other cabinet models available on the website.
A general check on "sewing machine cabinets" might find what you need?

Hope this helps you?
John

"speedbuggy" wrote in message om...
Anyone know of a good sewing machine desk plan. I have googled a lot and
found nothing like what the mother-in-law would like. She want one that
looks like a regular style office desk and the machine fold in to the top.
While the machine is folded away you can use it as a desk. All of the ones I
have seen either fold completely up and serve no purpose or have some type
of lift )rockler plan) the you would end up smashing you knees on when you
use it as a desk. My mom had on when I was a kid, it was pretty slick.

Thanks