Posted to uk.d-i-y
CM CM is offline

Default Just moved into flat, bathroom leaking to flat below

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:47:21 +0100, CM
wrote:

Hi

We've just moved into a new flat that has been unoccupied for the past
4 months.

On day one we used the loo and the sink, and our downstairs neighbour
has told us there's water coming through his ceiling. It did stop
though, and there weren't any problems until day 4 when we used the
shower for the first time - again the leaking.

The neighbour has been there for years, this hasn't happened before.
What could have happened in the intervening 4 months? Could a pipe
have dried out and cracked?

Is there any sensible way of sorting it out before we take up the
floor?

Bit of feedback, turns out it was a leak from the sink just below the
basin!

Unfortunately we'd got as far as making a few holes in the floor to
spot the leak. The outlet on the sink had been pushed out of place and
the water was just running down the outside of the pipe through the
hole in the floorboards.

At least the hole in the floor has let us check there's no more
leakage.

Any suggestions on how to patch up a small hole (about 3.5 inches
across I'd say) made in the floorboards before putting the tile back
down?