Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Lead paint test?

Stubby wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Remi" wrote in message
Hi. I've recently moved into an older house and I want to repaint
some rooms. I also need to strip some paint. Is there a test to
determine if the old paint contains lead? Also, if I find there is
lead in the old paint, what should I do? Thanks.

Why do you need to strip some paint? Is it already peeling? When I
worked on my old house, the standard advice was that if the paint was
intact, simply paint over it. In other words, why open a pandora's box
if you don't have to?

Little kids like to hang on the window woodwork. When they get big
enough the are able to chew on that woodwork. Lead paint tastes sweet,
so they continue.

Painting over it is OK if it is done properly. It's called
"encapsulating".

Lots of us have had kids and we teach them not to
hang on window woodwork. We also teach them not
chew on woodwork.

I doubt that lead paint tastes sweet. This idea
probably originated because the old name for
certain salts of metals were called "sugar of ---."