Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robowang Robowang is offline

Default Capacitor Start, Capacitor Run Motor

On Oct 16, 1:51 am, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:
I had almost the exact same problem about a month ago and it was just a bad
run cap.

- Mike

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in messagenews:UYEYg.1024713$084.883077@attbi_s22...

Hi!

As has been mentioned, your compressor's problem is likely the run
capacitor. Even if the start cap were bad as well, the motor might still
be
able to start and get up to running speed just fine.

I don't think you can stress the capacitor enough with a simple meter test
to make it fail. It sounds like the run cap breaks down with stress and
time
before turning into a short or more load than the circuit can handle. With
time it might get worse, such that your meter test would reveal a short
circuit.

I think you will find the replacement capacitors solve the problem, but I
would still like to hear how it goes.

William

That makes me feel better.
Yeah, I think if it is a cap that it's likely that it's the run cap. I
just don't have any experience with electric motors. The only thing I
have ever experienced was replacing a start cap in a refrigerator. It
wouldn't start up, just hum. The motor was a low rpm version and you
couls actually start it by spinning the shaft until it got up to speed.
A start cap fixed it.
I just wasn't for sure about the run cap. It's been along time since I
had any training in that area, but it seems like I remember that the
run cap was to help the motor make torque efficiently once it reaches
peak speed.
I have used a heavy duty cap checker and even it wasn't effective. The
best way to check big cap is substitution. But you gotta have an extra.
I know a DMM is pretty useless for a cap out of the circuit, but it's
all I have.
I should have the new caps by the end of the week, So I'll let everyone
know what happens.
Thanx for the input.