Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Capacitor Start, Capacitor Run Motor

Hi!

As has been mentioned, your compressor's problem is likely the run
capacitor. Even if the start cap were bad as well, the motor might still be
able to start and get up to running speed just fine.

I don't think you can stress the capacitor enough with a simple meter test
to make it fail. It sounds like the run cap breaks down with stress and time
before turning into a short or more load than the circuit can handle. With
time it might get worse, such that your meter test would reveal a short
circuit.

I think you will find the replacement capacitors solve the problem, but I
would still like to hear how it goes.

William