Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry Sjouke Burry is offline

Default Should this halogen bulb work off a 24 volt socket?

default wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:23:52 GMT, "HiC" wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news

What's the projector capable of delivering in full load watts ?

Don't know, I just turned it to "lamp" and put the multi tester leads on it,
came up with about 24.2 V. I know the bulbs it uses are rated at 150 w.

Actually, that's another thing, how do I know if I can use a much lower
wattage lamp without doing damage? Is there some way to tell? Any markings
on the electronics of the projector I should look for?

If you are going from 150 watts to 10 watts . . . that is much less
strain on the transformer and you'd want a 24 volt lamp as opposed to
a 21 volt one - the voltage drop due to loading will be less

As a general rule, you can always use less current/power safely - It
is when you go higher that things tend to smoke.

A 10 watt lamp is not going to like the much higher
transfomer output, any transformer, not loaded with
150 watts will output quite some more than 24 volts.
(if the loaded voltage at 150W is 24.2)