Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

It's on a 20 amp breaker, which lends itself to your theory that the OP is
mistaken about the wire size

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
. com...
If still in doubt after all these replies, you need a qualified electrical
inspector to check it out. If you do in fact have 14ga wire on the
countertop outlets then the house WAS NOT built to electrical code. You
will have to demand the builder fix it. I suspect after all the replies,
that you probably have white (bone) colored 12 ga wire. I can't imagine
anyone purposely wiring a house wrong. But on the other hand, it IS on a
15A breaker. That is definitely wrong, wrong wrong for kitchen outlets.

--
Steve Barker

"ZZ" wrote in message

If it is #14 wire you must have a 15a breaker and 15a outlets.
Are you sure it is #14? Kitchens have required #12 for a while now.

Yes, it is #14/2.

I do have a refrigerator that has a 20 amp receptacle in the kitchen with
12 gauge wire, but that's it. In my house, all the 12 gauge wire has a
yellow sheath & all the 14 gauge has a bone white sheath.

This is a brand new house (5 months old).