Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.trade.plumbing,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Default Question about water pressure in relation to valve and feeder pipe diameters...

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in message
My shower lacks pressure so I want to replace the existing 1/2 inch copper
pipe that leads up to it with 3/4 inch copper pipe. Obviously, if done
correctly this will increase the water pressure available at my shower.

Can you explain this? Are you changing the laws of physics and not telling
the rest of us? Oh, wait, I see you are in Canada; different laws.

I'm concerned about whether or not this will hinder or undo the pressure
increase resulting from my installation of the 3/4 inch pipes?

Not to worry, it won't hinder anything. See above.

Any information, enlightenment, advice, or experience in regards to this
would be much appreciated.

OK, you asked. First piece of advice is to find out the difference between
pressure and volume. Look at how a hydraulic cylinder works as a way to
help understand how pressure is actually made higher in the smaller diameter
lines.

Now determine exactly what your problem is. The pressure may be low, but it
may also be your perception do to lack of flow, or the dispersment of the
water from the shower head. Velocity is the key. I replaced a fairly
expensive shower head with one about 1/5 the price made by SaverShower. It
is the best shower heat I ever used even though it is a lower flow than
most. It is sufficient to rinse wll, but you have hte perception that you
are getting deluged with much more water than the actual flow.
Invest five bucks in this
http://www.energyfederation.org/cons.../cPath/421_277
http://www.h20managementservices.com/savershower.htm in Birkenhead Wirral