Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying granit countertop

"Sasha" wrote in message

1. My kitchen countertops are not continues. In fact I have three
independent countertop areas, none is exact whole number of sqft. How
sqft are calculated? Are they calculated total in square inches and
then dividied by 144 to get sqft?

There may be a scrap factor to consider also. It depends on whethe ror not
two pices can come from the same slab or if there will be a lot of waste.

2. Priced advertised everywhere is per sqft. Does shape affect price?
My backsplash wall unfortunately is not straight. I would like template
to be made to follow the wall so that countertop will match the wall
exactly. Also do cuts, for instance for sink cost extra?

Shape can affect price. As for the template, there may be other
altaernatives rather than trying to cut a piece of graite to a wavy wall.

3. Finally, is granit the same from any distributor or it differs? If
it is the same everywhere what else except color affects the price
which I see varies from 45$/sqft to more then $100/sqft.

Granite varys from one distributor to the next and from one slab to the next
and the region it comes from and the quarry it comes from and on and on.
Some colors are more rare and thus, priced higher. Granite from New
Hampshire is going to be cheaper than from Italy in most cases. Or some
place in Africa.

4. what else should I put attention to when buying granit countertops?

In question #3 you said "Finally" meaning that was the last question.
What's up with this one?

OK, I'll give you an answer anyway. First, there is no such thing as
granit. Don't take the spelling for granted, but it should be granite.

You may get some very good information here, but you will be able to look
and see differences by visiting a dealer. He can show you why some is $45,
others are $100. He can tell you the best way to work with three different
pieces. He can offer ideas, or even show, how a wavy wall can be handled.
I've advise you to visit more than one dealer. Some only carry the lower
end stuff, others carry only the best. Only by seeing the difference can
you determine what is best for your needs.