Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby Stubby is offline

Default Lead paint test?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Remi" wrote in message
news:J9vYg.141500$1T2.115979@pd7urf2no...
Hi. I've recently moved into an older house and I want to repaint some
rooms. I also need to strip some paint. Is there a test to determine if
the old paint contains lead? Also, if I find there is lead in the old
paint, what should I do? Thanks.

Why do you need to strip some paint? Is it already peeling? When I worked
on my old house, the standard advice was that if the paint was intact,
simply paint over it. In other words, why open a pandora's box if you
don't have to?

Little kids like to hang on the window woodwork. When they get big enough
the are able to chew on that woodwork. Lead paint tastes sweet, so they
continue.

Painting over it is OK if it is done properly. It's called
"encapsulating".

If kids are doing that, the parents are the lowest kind of trash. The kids
should be moved to homes where they are wanted, not ignored. Or, the
babysitter should be doused with gasoline and incinerated, outdoors, of
course.

You are entitled to your opinion. However as a licensed real estate
broker, I can inform you of the thinking behind the legislation.
Because lead paint was common and widely used before its hazards were
known, many children are endangered. As a matter of public policy, we
put in place laws which attemp to protect these kids.