Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lead paint test?

JoeSpareBedroom spake thus:

"Stubby" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Remi" wrote in message
news:J9vYg.141500$1T2.115979@pd7urf2no...

Hi. I've recently moved into an older house and I want to repaint some
rooms. I also need to strip some paint. Is there a test to determine if
the old paint contains lead? Also, if I find there is lead in the old
paint, what should I do? Thanks.

Why do you need to strip some paint? Is it already peeling? When I worked
on my old house, the standard advice was that if the paint was intact,
simply paint over it. In other words, why open a pandora's box if you
don't have to?

Little kids like to hang on the window woodwork. When they get big enough
the are able to chew on that woodwork. Lead paint tastes sweet, so they
continue.

Painting over it is OK if it is done properly. It's called
"encapsulating".

If kids are doing that, the parents are the lowest kind of trash. The kids
should be moved to homes where they are wanted, not ignored. Or, the
babysitter should be doused with gasoline and incinerated, outdoors, of
course.

That's a bit harsh, dontcha think? Kids of all colors and socioeconomic
levels do weird, crazy, stupid things. For some colorful examples, I
refer you to David Sedaris' book, /Naked/. (Among other things, he liked
to lick car windshields and dashboards.)

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority."