Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Ash and Black Mesquite Bowl

Gerald Ross said:

Greg G. wrote:
That is one reason I do a lot of segmented stuff. I can buy a variety
of exotic wood easier than finding a tree - dead or otherwise. (!)
The neighbors have cut down trees, but it's usually a pine tree.
There has been one big poplar, a few tiny oaks, and a Bradford pear.
I turned some of the pear, but it sure is squirrely - seems to split a
lot while drying. But my favorite has been the cherry (laurel) that I
removed from our yard - which is what prompted the purchase of a Jet
mini last year. What a treacherous, downhill path THAT led to...

I just got a truck load of spalted sweetgum from a neighbor, and just
down the hill is three dead elms already promised to me when they cut
them down. That is some pretty wood. My favorite tree cutter sometimes
drops off a log in my back yard, too. It's feast or famine.

I love the Elm that I've seen, and have looked for a supply. But
can't find it dead or alive around here. Lumber places don't carry
it, and I haven't seen a live Elm tree in years. Birdseye Elm is
especially attractive. I'm not sure what sweetgum looks like turned,
but it's fairly common here. Spalted Hackberry is another wood on my
wish list.

Looked at your magnolia bowl - nice! I don't think the stuff I have
will turn out like that as the heartwood is almost black, and it's not
very pretty.

All the more reason I need to get out of the city...

FWIW

Greg G.