Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] mpdsville1@yahoo.com is offline

Default safe winter heating

Troy wrote:
I'm wondering with winter roaring in, whats the safest way to heat my
refrigerator of a 2-car garage. It has roll-up doors so theres some gap
there. It's insulated on some walls and not on others, and covered
with 1/2" plywood. It has about a 6" "flue vent" from the previous
owner where apparently they used to have a wood stove, but now that
would be in my office space, so not much help to the shop itself.
I'm still working on a good dust collecting method, but with sub-zero
temperatures coming I really don't want to freeze my fingers off.

Troy

Regarding the garage doors:
Suggest buying a few 4'x8' sheets of celotex rigid insulating board
and block
off the INSIDE of the doors. You can cut it to fit with a bread knife.
I use it every
winter to close my basement windows.Ihave SLIGHTLY oversized cutouts
and
I tap them in place with a rubber mallet. Tape the seams with duct
tape. I'd
suggest 2" thick, as its rugged enough to last several seasons of
removal
and re-use. I use "Great Stuff" to seal the corners that get hurt.
~$100
Regarding Heat: I'd go with a "salamander" air-forced kero heater (The
tube shaped thing)
They throw huge amounts of heat fast, and since they are fan-forced,
distribute the
heat by default. ~$200

Your shop will freeze when not in use. If anything in there cannot
freeze, then
use 4mil plastic and staple-gun up a false ceiling and add a
"milk-house" heater
to keep the room above 32degrees when not in use.

My $.02 ,
MikeD , UpstateNY.