Posted to rec.woodworking
Buddy Matlosz Buddy Matlosz is offline

Default Large spade bits

"David Merrill" wrote in message
news:6PAYg.240868$1i1.128519@attbi_s72...
I don't know. Did a little searching; found this:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=206153
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=205770
http://forum.doityourself.com/archiv.../f-11-p-3.html
Hope it helps.

Are you seeing signs of water or sun damage that causes you to consider

the
possible need for ventilation? Or, is this one of those "if it isn't
broken, don't fix it" situations? Do you live in an area with a building
code inspector who is familiar with local conditions and might be willing

answer this question?

David Merrill

Here's the history: I bought the house about 6 years ago. Shortly after, I
noticed water stains on the garage ceiling. I had a new roof put on by a
co-worker who moonlights in home repairs, I really don't know well-qualified
he is. Two years ago I noticed more leaks. The roof was removed and replaced
by my then 19-yo son. He'd been doing carpentry, roofing and repairs for a
couple of years, and is a neophyte, but was working with an older friend who
seemed more knowledgeable. Now fast-forward to last month - another leak
appeared, my son determined that there was a spot where the garage roof
meets the house wall that wasn't tarred properly, and touched it up. At that
time, we noticed some water damage and rotting along the fascia and soffit.
He said that was probably caused by the previous guy not installing a drip
edge, which my son and his friend did later. He then tore out and replaced
the fascia/soffit. It was then that I questioned why the soffit on the house
had vents, but the garage soffit didn't. Sonny suggested adding the vents,
but again, I'm not sure I trust his judgement. The house, BTW, has a full
attic with gable vents in addition to soffit vents.

I'll look into your suggestion about the building inspector. Those links are
great, I'm still going through them.

Thanks, David.

Buddy