Dave Young

Default Starrett's MACHINIST TOOL BOX

It was our homeport. The cutter's name was the Courageous (now
decommissioned). I was stationed on her from 1989 - 1991.

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Dave Young says...

From there I went to the CGC Sweetgum, an old 180' buoy
tender built sometime around 1943. Had a pair of old straight eight
Cooper Bessember engines (quietest diesel engines I'd ever heard. You
could have a conversation between them with them running until you
started the ships service generators - 6-71 Detroit Diesels. They
drove generators that ran the single propulsion motor. To start the
engines you would motorize the generators).

That sounds like quite a ship.

caused the mechanism to slip preventing the anchor from raising. The
week before I had been over at the scrap bin at the Navy base we tied up
at (Panama City, Florida) and picked up a piece of 2" or so round stock.

Hey - I've been at that navy base!

Jim

please reply to: