Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Phone wiring question: RJ11 to RJ45

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:16:39 GMT, Bennett Price
wrote:

Be cautious about using the physically smaller RJ11/12 plugs in RJ45
sockets. Sometimes the plugs can screw up the flexible pins/wires in
the sockets because the shoulder of the plug doesn't quite fit
comfortably. Better to make your patch cords with RJ45's.

As for CAT 5 and Ethernet, you must use CAT 5 for 100 MB Enet; you
might get away with short stretches of plain old bell wire for 10MB Enet.

When I started making ethernet cables, I didn't know about the
importance of pairs, and just wired them in the obvious way (1&2, 3&4,
5&6, 7&8). These worked OK for 10Mb internet (BTW, it's Mb [megaBITS]
not MB [megaBYTES]). Then I upgraded to 100Mb. The connection LEDs
came on, but no data was transferred. I needed to put new ends on the
cables with 3&6 on one pair.

CraigT wrote:
I plan on installing a VOIP setup in my house.

The problem is that the phone wiring that enters the house is 8 conductor
and is hardwired to the phone distribution center. So, I figure I can break
into that incoming line and install a couple of cat5 8 conductor female
plugs on the two severed ends and can use a cat5 patch cord to connect them
if I ever want to go back to the teleco. But, that would only happen if I
sell the house.

The question I have is: Can I plug in a normal rj11 modular plug (coming
from the modem) into the female rj45 jack that I'll be installing upstream
from the distribution center and expect those 4 conductors in the plug to be
aligned with the appropriate conductors in the rj45 jack? The phone modem
only has rj11 plugs.

BTW-I know I'll only be able to hook up one phone (an expandable wireless
system) to this setup. I just want to make my setup easy to undo when I
move.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."