Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default Leaking ballcock

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
My toilet has an old-fashioned solid brass ballcock for a fill valve
rather than a more modern pilot-valve fill valve. It has started leaking
just a little, so after it shuts off the tank continues to fill *extremely
slowly* until it spills over the overflow pipe.

I actually like this type of valve better than the Fluidmaster type valves
that slam when they shut off. I have quite high water pressure and the
modern valves are noisy and don't last very long.

Do I just need to take brass valve apart and clean the seat? Or is there
more to it than that? I don't think this has a rubber washer inside; I
believe it has a metal-to-metal seal.

The modern plastic stuff is mostly junk. I think you can fix it by cleaning
it.