Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mgkelson@yahoo.com is offline

Default Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

ZZ wrote:
Hi There,

I'm confused on if I can replace an 15 amp receptacle with a 20 amp
receptacle. I want to be able to hook up a espresso machine in my kitchen
and the machine requires a 20amp circuit.

The particular circuit I want to change out has a 20 amp breaker coming from
the box using a 14 gauge wire to, 1 15 amp GFI receptacle & 2 15 amp
receptacles in the kitchen.

Will I be able to switch out 1 of the 15 amp receptacles with a 20 amp
receptacle without causing a problem?

Thanks,
Dave

Does your expresso machine have a 20-amp plug on it or a 15-amp plug?
If it has a 20-amp plug on it and you have 14-gauge wiring, I wouldn't
plug it in to your electrical system no matter what sort of socket you
have.

What is the electrical rating of the expresso machine? You can usually
find the electrical rating on the bottom or the back of the machine.