Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Phone wiring question: RJ11 to RJ45

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:18:50 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

CraigT wrote:
I plan on installing a VOIP setup in my house.

The problem is that the phone wiring that enters the house is 8 conductor
and is hardwired to the phone distribution center. So, I figure I can break
into that incoming line and install a couple of cat5 8 conductor female
plugs on the two severed ends and can use a cat5 patch cord to connect them
if I ever want to go back to the teleco. But, that would only happen if I
sell the house.

The question I have is: Can I plug in a normal rj11 modular plug (coming
from the modem) into the female rj45 jack that I'll be installing upstream
from the distribution center and expect those 4 conductors in the plug to be
aligned with the appropriate conductors in the rj45 jack? The phone modem
only has rj11 plugs.

BTW-I know I'll only be able to hook up one phone (an expandable wireless
system) to this setup. I just want to make my setup easy to undo when I
move.

Yes, an RJ11 plug will fit in an RJ45 socket. The center pair of an
RJ45 jack is reserved for telephone, even though it's seldom used that
way. It's up to you to wire it up.

Bob

I've often heard that it's not a good idea to have telephone and
ethernet in the same cable. That's why some people install TWO cat5
cables everywhere. The wire assignments (different pins for ethernet
and phone) help prevent damage caused by plugging something in wrong.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."