Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Ash and Black Mesquite Bowl

Gerald Ross said:

Greg G. wrote:
Latest attempt at woodturning.
Ash and Black Mesquite with Black Walnut and Maple detail.

Very nice! I can tell it represents a lot of work. Good job.

Thanks! It's one of those technically correct pieces that just didn't
turn out quite as expected. :-\

But I did use my home brew vacuum chuck to turn the bottom:
(Since you're now playing with such a device.)
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...uumChuck01.jpg

Man is that thing great - and only cost about $30. (Had the pump,
gauge, and many of the parts.) I've never reversed anything and
finished the bottom so quickly and easily. Held really well with only
1" Hg, and I used 5" Hg for the turning process. (On something this
large, 20"+ would probably destroy it.)

After this, I turned an exposed bark bowl from sopping wet magnolia.
It is the ugliest thing, and the nastiest wood, I have ever turned.
Kinda like politicians, black heart, and pale, featureless outer. ;-)
Hope it's good to burn in the fireplace, 'cause I'm not bothering with
turning the rest of the log...

FWIW

Greg G.