Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross Gerald Ross is offline

Default Ash and Black Mesquite Bowl

Greg G. wrote:
Latest attempt at woodturning.
Ash and Black Mesquite with Black Walnut and Maple detail.
Slathered with a 20lb cut of shellac. 13" diameter - 5.5" tall.
Probably won't do another like this one. What a PITA.

Dry ash is hard as h*ll, and the mesquite was more like ironwood.
Both full of buried knots and black spots. Even the curlys are stiff
and unforgiving, especially when they get in your shirt or socks.
Boy does that sound odd...

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc.../BigBowl01.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc.../BigBowl02.jpg

The ash grain is fairly, uh, vivid? And the mesquite lacks a certain
amount of the grain detail I was hoping for. And excuse the poor flash
lighting which makes the reflecting segments look different in color.
They are actually all one rather unnerving color - ah, such is "art".

I'm dubbing it the Axe Handle and Texas Trash Wood Bowl.

FWIW

Greg G.

Very nice! I can tell it represents a lot of work. Good job.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.