Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default flooring / how big is 20 squares (metres)?

"ODB" wrote in
:

Hi all,

I have been looking at a house, they are quoting it as 20 metres/or 20
sqaures.

I always get confused how this is calculated for the purposes of
changing the floor.

It is a decent size single storey house, lounge room is 5m x 5m, 3
bedrooms 3x3, kitchen plus 2 bathrooms.

Are the hallways and bathroom/kitchen included in that 20?

Can anyone shed light on how these realtors work?

Thanks!

I take it you are in Australia and the metric system is used there?

Many of us are in the U.S. and are unfamiliar with how these items are
sold there. Decades ago, there was a push to convert to metric here. Boy
I wish they did it but that fell through.

For the US, vinyl and carpet are sold by the square yard but it is not
just a raw calculation. Waste is generated depending on say the vinyl
pattern. With carpet, it has to be laid direction matching. Minimizing
piecing can generate lots of waste but makes a nice job.

You didn't ask about it but maybe of use. Roof covering is sold by the
square. A square is 100 square feet. But the bundles here are 1/3 of a
square which means 3 bundles to the square.

Google has a nice conversion feature where in the search bar you put in
somewhat natural language and it does the conversion. Not sure if this
will help you. But I'm bet a lot of people will see this and think holy
****. That's cool :-)

Input:
25 square meters to square yards

Result:
25 (square meters) = 29.8997512 square yards

http://i10.tinypic.com/2dr984y.jpg

Input:
750 ml to quarts

Result: