Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rain drains

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

Kathy wrote:
I am an inexperienced lady trying to put the rain drain system in myself.
We are having a log home built. It is on a slope in the northwest so we
get plenty of rain. There is a daylight basement and the builder did put
in a french drain all the way around the house and then he back filled. I
dug down to the footings on the daylight side of the house but as the
gound sloped up I was about 18" deep on the filled side. My question: is
that deep enough to put my 3" drain pipe down? Do I connect it to the
french drain? Any other advice? Kathy

Kathy the digger

Your downspouts generate thousands of gallons of water. Don't dump
this into the drainage system for your foundation. It's asking for
problems now or down the road.

I'll second that. Previous owner here did that, and seemed clueless why the
basement was wet. Sawing those off and adding elbows and extensions and
splash blocks was the first thing I did, even before I moved in. Made a big
difference. I almost never get any seepage now.

For OP, if this is a cabin in the woods, I'd try Real Hard to do without
gutters at all, due to the leaf/pine needle loading problem. Big overhangs,
and careful yard grading to get drainage, with a gravel planting bed or
pavers or something at the drip lines.

aem sends...

aem sends...