Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone wiring question: RJ11 to RJ45

"HeyBub" wrote in message
CraigT wrote:
I plan on installing a VOIP setup in my house.

The problem is that the phone wiring that enters the house is 8
conductor and is hardwired to the phone distribution center. So, I
figure I can break into that incoming line and install a couple of
cat5 8 conductor female plugs on the two severed ends and can use a
cat5 patch cord to connect them if I ever want to go back to the
teleco. But, that would only happen if I sell the house.

The question I have is: Can I plug in a normal rj11 modular plug
(coming from the modem) into the female rj45 jack that I'll be
installing upstream from the distribution center and expect those 4
conductors in the plug to be aligned with the appropriate conductors
in the rj45 jack? The phone modem only has rj11 plugs.

BTW-I know I'll only be able to hook up one phone (an expandable
wireless system) to this setup. I just want to make my setup easy to
undo when I move.

You're confused. The VoIP adapter sits between your internet connection
and the telephone system. The wire that comes OUT of the VoIP box IS a
telephone line and should be treated in all ways as another telephone
trunk line.

In our case, we have three VoIP modems connected to the network router.
Each of the outputs from the three VoIP modems then goes to our PBX
system, just like the wires from the telephone company do. To the
telephone user, they look exactly like an additional telephone line.

Okay, after reading all this thread, I think I get it- he doesn't have a
normal residential demarc, with the rj-11 jacks- he has one of those
aluminum or gray boxes with the brass posts for the 4-pair incoming, that
also has posts or punchdowns for the runs to all the rooms. Or maybe he has
a 66 block, with no apparent terminals or ground blocks upstream. Not
uncommon a few years ago for multi-line or multi-residence service. He wants
to break the 4-pair telco feed wire, so he can use the inside wiring as
distribution for his VOIP dial tone from the VOIP box.

Telco will get cranky if OP cuts 'their' wire, if this distribution point is
in fact their 'demarc'. Proper solution is to get telco out there to install
a modern demarc with a seperate rj11 for each existing or potential pair on
the incoming drop. (Like a small apartment building would have). Not to
mention the additional noise a field-installed rj connector is likely to add
to the line. Failing that, I would mark, by color, which posts the incoming
pairs are attached to, via a weatherproof sticker inside the lid, and simply
disconnect them, and tape the bare ends. (There is sometimes a digram in the
box- if not, draw one.) I would also include a sign saying VOIP is in use,
and to NOT reconnect incoming service without verifying status with the
subscriber. The signage is needed if the box is outside the house, because
telco will sometimes open a demarc on the wrong house, or open all the
demarcs to a particular pedestal or pole connection if it is damaged or has
to be switched out. If the box is in the basement or garage, it is still a
good idea, since somebody else who doesn't understand the VOIP may let them
in the house while you are away. In fact, a note or sign in the box is a
good idea even for people with rj11 demarcs, for the same reasons, along
with a piece of tape over the incoming feed wires or connectors. You never
know if the next guy to open the box will be up to speed on what is going
on.

aem sends....