Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Phone wiring question: RJ11 to RJ45

CraigT wrote:
I plan on installing a VOIP setup in my house.

The problem is that the phone wiring that enters the house is 8
conductor and is hardwired to the phone distribution center. So, I
figure I can break into that incoming line and install a couple of
cat5 8 conductor female plugs on the two severed ends and can use a
cat5 patch cord to connect them if I ever want to go back to the
teleco. But, that would only happen if I sell the house.

The question I have is: Can I plug in a normal rj11 modular plug
(coming from the modem) into the female rj45 jack that I'll be
installing upstream from the distribution center and expect those 4
conductors in the plug to be aligned with the appropriate conductors
in the rj45 jack? The phone modem only has rj11 plugs.

BTW-I know I'll only be able to hook up one phone (an expandable
wireless system) to this setup. I just want to make my setup easy to
undo when I move.

You're confused. The VoIP adapter sits between your internet connection and
the telephone system. The wire that comes OUT of the VoIP box IS a telephone
line and should be treated in all ways as another telephone trunk line.

In our case, we have three VoIP modems connected to the network router. Each
of the outputs from the three VoIP modems then goes to our PBX system, just
like the wires from the telephone company do. To the telephone user, they
look exactly like an additional telephone line.