Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa Teamcasa is offline

Default Bent Laminations

"Teamcasa"
You are not. Creep is what happens to the wood sandwich as clamping
pressures are applied. Blue tape will hold it most of the time for flat
stock glue ups, it has a hard time when the form includes a bend and
twist.
Unless your bending form incorporates a twist as well as a bend, you
should
not have a problem with creep. If you do, and blue tape will not hold,
(try
it without glue first) apply clamps and cauls to prevent severe creep. Use
clear packing tape on the cauls to prevent the adhesive from sticking to
it.

Alex
Okay. That's not my understanding of the term. I think it refers to a
property of the cured glue line. From an engineering dictionary:
:Creep
:the dimensional change with time of a material under load.

and from the Franklin Global web site:
:What is creep in an adhesive bond?
:Creep or cold-flow in an adhesive bond is the deformation of
:the bond line under a stress or load over a period of time

Alex, I don't think that applies to furniture making. Structural materials,
subject to significant pressures and/or vibration and large temperature
fluctuations, maybe. If you are making a glue lamination beam (GLB), that
may have to hold during a fire, then I'd worry about that type of creep.

Dave