Posted to rec.woodworking
David Merrill David Merrill is offline

Default Large spade bits

Hope you're planning to place screened louvers in those holes to keep the
rodents and hornets out. Two inch sounds a bit small. Should not the total
flow area of the soffit vents approximately equal the exhaust flow area of
the gable or ridge vents. A two inch spade bit in a hand held power drill
at the top of a ladder might just wrench those arthritic shoulders
sufficiently to help you forget all about soffits. I suspect that the bit
manufacturers' liability lawyers have thought of that and decided not to
market very large spade bits.

How about some standard, screened, 6x12" soffit louvers installed over
correctly sized cutouts made with a jigsaw in the hands of a younger,
insured person. Medical costs are really high these days.

David Merrill

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in message

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:15:13 -0400, "Buddy Matlosz"

wrote:

I need 2", but can't find anything larger than 1-1/2. Anyone know of a
source?

Thx,
B.

No, and I'd be sort of scared to use one...

Won't a forstner bit work?
Mac

I need to drill a series of vent holes in the plywood soffit that was
recently replaced under my garage roof. I drilled the first couple with a
Forstner, but working overhead is kinda tough on my arthritic shoulders, I
was hoping a spade bit would make it go quicker and easier.

B.