Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Holding threaded rod in a vise

"Matty F" wrote in message
oups.com...
Cicero wrote:

This is very similar to mine although mine is an earlier version and about

20
years old: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060710025

Ours is bigger and runs coolant on the blade and has a tray underneath
to cathc the coolant.
It doesn't appear to be able to tilt vertical like yours, which is a
great pity, because there are some diagonal cuts that can't be done.

========================
The vertical function isn't really much use because it has a very basic table
about 12" square. The flat bed vice jaws can swing through 45 degrees so it can
produce most diagonals. No coolant is necessary so quite slow and safe. When a
blade snaps it breaks quite safely both because of the low speed and surrounding
protection.

I can understand your reluctance to get close without good clamping but I think
it would be worth a try to clamp firmly without any other aids to see what
damage (if any) there is to the threads. You've got a good clamping area and
damage should be minimal. It really depends on what you're going to use the rods
/ studs for. Most of the suggested clamping methods are likely to be very
tedious and time-consuming however ingenious they are.

Cic.

It has removed 1307 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!