Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mgkelson@yahoo.com is offline

Default where to buy cheap polystyrene foam board?

Goedjn wrote:
On 14 Oct 2006 15:31:10 -0700, wrote:

peter wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"peter" wrote in news:7IOXg.10$3C6.5@trnddc04:

I want to buy about a dozen pieces of polystyrene foam board to tape
to my windows/doors/fireplace as temporary insulation for the season.
Home stores sell them: 1.5 inch x 2 feet x 4 feet for $4. This seems
pretty expensive, consider this is what most people throw out after
unpacking a boxed product. OK, the ones sold by home stores have an
extra plastic sheet (vapor barrior) and R-factors printed on them. I
can live without these extras.

Where can I buy foam boards at lower price? I don't need the vapor
barrior or R factor.

are you planning on not seeing out of your windows or getting any light
in?

Why not construct wood frames with a sheet of clear plastic stretched over
it,to fit into your window recesses as a "storm window"?

It is a test to see if insulating the windows would lower the heating bill
significantly. If it does, then I may upgrade the windows to better ones.

A sheet of plastic film will stop heat loss due to air leakage, but not heat
loss due to air convection, or due to conduction. Although, a sheet of film
over a window frame traps some air inside and slow down the convection, so
it should have some insulating effect.

I think single-pane windows have an R-Value of about 1 while
double-pane windows have an R-Value of about 2.

I've always thought that insulated shutters that you could close at
night from inside the house would be pretty nifty.

I've seen shutters that *MOUNT* on the inside.

It's all starting to come back now. I think this window insulation
thing dates back to the 1980's and my wife and I went through that
phase at least 20 years ago. Looking around the house, most of my
windows have pull-down, thermal window shades. Funny, that I should
forgot those. They haven't been pulled down in years.

I'm trying to remember why I lost my enthusiasm years ago for
super-insulating my house. I think it was because gas prices went down
and the county that I happen to live in has an issue with radon gas
which is a good reason not to make your house too airtight.

It looks like insulated shutters, by the way, could provide an R-value
of 9.50 or more.
http://muextension.missouri.edu/expl...des/gh2815.htm