Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Large spade bits

In article ,
Buddy Matlosz wrote:
...snipped...

I need to drill a series of vent holes in the plywood soffit that was
recently replaced under my garage roof. I drilled the first couple with a
Forstner, but working overhead is kinda tough on my arthritic shoulders, I
was hoping a spade bit would make it go quicker and easier.

B.

I was doing this same job a few years ago and used a holesaw. If you
get a good quality saw like a Morse or Starret, they have slots that
make it fairly easy to remove the plug.

Actually, I was replacing a section of rain gutter. We had had
insualtion blown into the attic the previous year and I wanted to
install soffit vents, so I figured while I was climbing up the
ladder (about 26 ft to the soffets) I'd do both jobs at the same
time. I can tell you, climbing up and down that ladder, moving it
a few feet each time gets old. Anyway, as I neared an end I had
one hole left to drill in the gutter. I removed the holesaw from my
to switch to a plain twist drill but I dropped it. Damn! I did NOT
want to o down and up that ladder even one more time!

I looked at that holesaw, with it's pilot bit sticking out
about 3/8" or whatever past the saw teeth, and thought to myself,
"Sure I can drill through the aluminum gutter real careful like,
stop the drill as soon as it breaks through, install the last gutter
hanger, and I'll be done."

Well, the pilot drill went through the aluminum but I was not
successful at stopping the drill in time. The hole saw hit the gutter,
snagged on it, tore off a 2 foot section, twisted around, and damn
near pulled me off the ladder. I think it was right after that that I
bought a second cordless drill.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -