Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ryan Ryan is offline

Default Holding threaded rod in a vise

I'd recommend using a hand grinder with a metal disc. They're quite
cheap these days.

Just be sure to wear eye protection and remember that whatever you
grind will be hot afterwards.

On Oct 15, 11:01 am, "Roger Mills" wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:44:36 UTC, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

My early days in the engineering shop was a block of 1" metal with
two nuts either side to lock it into position of the 1" block.

Aha! Will remember that...

The problem with just the two nuts is the nuts dont always end up
with their flat edge faces.

That was my thought...was trying to visualise how it could be made to
work.It's best to use *three* nuts. Lock 2 of them together and put the 3rd nut

further along the shaft. Clamp the middle and third nuts in the vice - with
the first nut just outside the jaws, so it doesn't matter if the flats don't
line up.

When cutting a threaded bar or bolt, you should always have a nut on it
anyway - so that subsequently removing the nut will clean up the threads
where the cutting process may have damaged them.
--
Cheers,
Roger