Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Holding threaded rod in a vise

On 15 Oct 2006 01:55:22 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:

|What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
|vise so that the thread is not damaged?
|The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
|metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
|vise.
|
|I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
|was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

What I was taught in the Apprentice School, long long ago. Drill a hole a
piece of sheet which is several threads deep, tap with the appropriate
thread. Hacksaw through the tapped hole. Put your threaded rod through
the tapped hole, hold the sheet in the vice.

IIRC I still have the screw clamps I made there unfortunately, Whitworth or
BFS & BA. The ones they made us make had several tapped holes in a line,
sawn through and a large hole with 1/8 of metal round it to make the clamp
flexible enough to allow threaded rod to be inserted.

Hope that is understandable ;-)