Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Holding threaded rod in a vise

In article .com,
Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

'Soft jaw' covers for the vice jaws made from aluminium sheet. Every
vice should have some. And it's about time they brought back metalwork
teaching at school. ;-)

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.