Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default 'polycool - Solar Control Inserts'

On 2006-10-15 10:05:59 +0100, "Mary Hinge" said:

Mary Hinge wrote:

They give discounts of up to 30% during the winter (around nov-feb
IIRC) so that would be the best time to purchase.

Just got a leaflet from them yesterday - 30% off from 1st Oct to 30th
Nov.

MH

30% off of what?

This is completely meaningless.

If the intended selling price of something is £700, the list price can
be set to £1000.

The vendor can then discount by 30% and achieve his target selling
price and intended margin.

The only people taken in by that one are the gullible customers and
certain dimwitted people trying to collect enquiries for the product.

I had a conversation with a lady who probably spends most of her
Sundays in the vestibule of a Do it All handing out leaflets on double
glazing and trying to make appointments for sales people.

Her opening gambit was was I interested in double glazing - "50% off"
she proudly announced.

"50% off of what?" I asked.

"50% off!" she replied.

"50% off of what?" I asked.

"It's 50% off!!!" she replied.

"From what though?" I asked.

"But it's 50% off until the end of the month!!" was the answer.

I could see that this conversation wasn't going to go anywhere, so I
asked her what would happen after the end of the month.

"Then we'll have our autumn sale".

"What's that likely to mean?" I asked.

"I don't know", she said, "but last year it was 50% off!!"

"50% off of what?"

etc.

I was very much reminded of the lady in the cafe in that famous
travelogue "Bal-ham, gateway to the South". Whatever the customer
asked, the answer was always the same.....

"It's off" (She sounded rather similar as well).