Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Holding threaded rod in a vise

Richard Downing wrote:
Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

Perhaps, cut a pair of nuts for the thread so that they can be pinched
up in the machine vice. Thread them on, and clamp, then cut. This has
the advantage that the nuts act as thread cleaners to the cut ends.

Very good. That is the method that I have used. Ideally, use square
nuts, but hexagonal nuts work fine. These were cut halfway along a
flat, so someone wanted to clamp them in the bandsaw vise with only the
points touching the vise. I refused to allow that as it was not secure
and risked breaking the bandsaw blade. Sometimes I don't understand the
way some "engineers" think.