Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default safe winter heating

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 01:21:57 -0500, Troy
wrote:

I'm wondering with winter roaring in, whats the safest way to heat my
refrigerator of a 2-car garage. It has roll-up doors so theres some gap
there. It's insulated on some walls and not on others, and covered
with 1/2" plywood. It has about a 6" "flue vent" from the previous
owner where apparently they used to have a wood stove, but now that
would be in my office space, so not much help to the shop itself.
I'm still working on a good dust collecting method, but with sub-zero
temperatures coming I really don't want to freeze my fingers off.

My vote would be for a natural gas garage heater- the kind that mount
on the ceiling. Why? Because natural gas prices are down 11% this
year, while oil and electricity have gone up. I don't think any one
of the big three are particularly safer than the others, so you may as
well save some money.

The cheapest has got to be wood heat, but the safety of that route is
a little iffy in a wood shop, depending on who you are, and how
careful you can be- not to mention whether or not your insurance
company will allow it at all.