Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
DGG DGG is offline

Default Review Update: Delta 16" VS Lathe - PM/Jet VFD Info (long)

DGG said:

This post contains updates and corrections to information presented in
my original Delta 46-756 lathe review.

Their computer shows the part it to be backordered till Jan 16, 2007.

Well, kudos to Delta/B&D for getting a replacement part shipped well
ahead of the computer projected date. Received it yesterday, and I am
now finishing up a large 13" Ash and Black Mesquite bowl.

I've been using a small 6" straight rest for bowl interiors on the Jet
Mini, and with a certain amount of adjustment, it works fine. But now
that I've progressed to larger diameters, it turns out that a straight
rest doesn't deal well with deeper bowl bottoms. Bought a Delta
46-404 "French Curl" tool rest, and consider it a bargain at $23.
Made in Taiwan, reasonably well finished, although the curves are not
quite what I expected. The acutely curved side works OK on interiors,
but the other side was probably designed to be used on bowl exteriors,
and due to the bulk and design of the rest, the angles are wrong for
interior work. And if the bowl were much deeper, it would be less
useful. I would have preferred two interior curls, one large, one
small, as I still use a straight rest on the exterior, but that's my
preference.

FWIW