Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default What height is your table?

On 13 Oct 2006 10:00:28 -0700, "Max63" wrote:

Being a new turner, Im building the metal framed table on which the
lathe will be fixed. Assuming the axis of turning should be at elbow
height (or lower? please correct me), Ive calculated the sum of parts
(wood caps + metal frame + wood top + lathe axis height) to add up to
my own elbow height. Before (permanently) fixing it to the wall, Id
appreciate any input.
Is your axis of turning exactly elbow high? If you could change it,
would you add or subtract a few inches?
Speak now or forever hold your breath...
Thanks.

I sort of went about this ass-backwards...
The stand that I'd built for the mini gave me shoulder pain after a long night
of turning, so I built a new one with adjustable height...

When I got the Jet 1442, it seemed really comfortable to me, so I matched the
mini's spindle height to the 1442's, about 44"....
I'm a little over 6' and at that height, my forearms are pointed slightly down
from the elbow... just seems comfortable there...

I had to tell you that, I was turning blue... lol

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis