Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Insulated Garage and heating options.

wrote:
I have a garage that is 20' depth x 28' wide and the ceiling is 8'
high. The walls are block and the outside I had 3/4" insulation board
with furring strips and siding added on for aesthetics. I put 4 new 36"
x 36" double pane windows with argon in the garage as well. There are 2
on the east wall and 2 on the west wall. I had ceiling rafters and a
i-beam put up as there were only cables holding up the roof rafters.
After the ceiling rafters & I-beam were installed I placed R12 or R19
insulation with a covering of plastic over the insulation and ceiling
rafters. I then added 3/4" insulation board over that as one side is
shiny silver and helps with lighting,not only insulating the place
more. After all of this I noticed I got a humidity problem and the
humidity levels were near 80%. So I bought a whirlpool 70 pint
dehumidifier. I can get the humidity levels down to 48% but no lower.
This brings me to the new problem and finding a solution.
I live in the northeast of the usa & the weather is getting colder
especially at nights. I spend alot of time in the garage and I need
heat. At least to 65-69 degrees while Im in there. 55 when Im not.
I bought two charmglow propane wall hanging heaters that were 28,000
btu's & open blue flame only to find out that I cannot get them hooked
up if I house a vehicle in there. Which I do. So I had to return them.
Im looking for a vented propane wall hanging heater for this garage or
something that would help heat the place and keep the mositure down and
keep the temps mentioned above.
I also understand that adding a vent free type propane or gas heater
will add to my moisture problem. I was referred to use baseboard
heaters but Im concerned on how much it would cost being electric. I
probably would use the heat at 65-69 degrees 20hrs/7days a week from
October to May(about 7 months). I may turn the heat down to 55 degrees
for the night. I was told that electric heat would help the moisture
problem(which I would like to stop using the dehumidifier). They also
said with gas,propane,& oil prices of today, that electric heating
costs arent so bad and are a bit better nowadays. But Im still
concerned and still wonder how much heat they would throw off and what
the temperature would be using 1,2 or possibly 3 baseboard electric
heaters.
Anyone have any better advise for me?

Simply go to propaneproducts.com and check out the Modine HotDawg
heaters. I have used Modine heaters in shop environments since about
1974 and those units are still up and running today. At the present
time I have a new residential garage (central Illinois) and plan on
using the HD 40,000 BTU for heat. The price/performance is just right,
and conversions from propane to NG are easily done. With a Honeywell
programable thermostat you'll have an unbeatable combination.Highly
recommended.

Joe