PoP

Default Three worktop questions

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:17:46 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Yes, there is a reason - you'll most likely be cutting it with a
jigsaw, so you need to cut from below in order to avoid tearing
the lamintate off.

One way of preventing chipping is to heavily score the laminate just
outside the cut line before cutting. That way any chipping goes only
as far as the scoring.

Alternatively, do a rough cut fairly close to where the sink hole is
required, then take the final couple of mm off with a router. If you
were to run the router base along a straight edge then the finished
article is a neat vertical cut - jigsaws can wander a bit and (often)
the result looks poor.

However if using a router then doing the work outside is a high
priority - routers tend to produce quite a lot of dust and being
manmade I wonder whether it might be carcigenous (I know MDF is). You
don't want that dust lying around the house.

PoP