Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Door scrapes

glassartist wrote:
I have a duplex which is settling. I have a front door that drags on the
interior floor. It is currently cut about 1.5 inches up and a threshold is
installed to meet the under side of the door.

I am putting in new oak hardwood floors. To have the door not scrape it
will make the front threshold like entering a battleship. You'd have to
step over/on a raised threshold that is about 4" high. This would make
moving in furniture difficult too and when damaged, as I'm sure will
eventually happen, then the air gap will be significant.

Any ideas. I even thought of hanging the door to open out. I thought I'd
need a special type of hinge, but maybe that would be the best idea. Any
thoughts? Are there such hinges? I think most doors aren't hung this way
for safety. So people can't remove the hinges and gain access to the home.
Argh! If it isn't one problem it's three or four!!!

Don't have the door swing out. Really - don't. Use rising butt
hinges. http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_...ts.asp?Cat=542