Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default safe winter heating

Troy (in ) said:

| I'm wondering with winter roaring in, whats the safest way to heat
| my refrigerator of a 2-car garage. It has roll-up doors so theres
| some gap there. It's insulated on some walls and not on others,
| and covered with 1/2" plywood. It has about a 6" "flue vent" from
| the previous owner where apparently they used to have a wood stove,
| but now that would be in my office space, so not much help to the
| shop itself.
| I'm still working on a good dust collecting method, but with
| sub-zero temperatures coming I really don't want to freeze my
| fingers off.

Seal gaps and insulate first. Close that flue vent (top and bottom) if
you're not going to use it.

Since you already have woodworking skills, I'll suggest building solar
air-heating panels for the south (first) and west (second) sides of
your garage. The panels on the west side will need plywood covers
during the warm season, but will gather warmth during winter
afternoons.

If you need help getting started, you're invited to visit next time
you're in the Des Moines area. It might also be helpful to lurk on
news:alt.solar.thermal - there are a few people there who really know
their stuff (as well as a fair number who just like to dream). If you
lurk for a while, you can probably sort 'em out for yourself. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar