Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Downing Richard Downing is offline

Default Stone bench for woodworking

Frank McGuire wrote:
I'm thinking of making a bench for woodworking using concrete blocks for the
supports (legs) with a stout timber frame on top.
Any comments / advice!

I thought 'what a good idea...' until I read the other replies. Now, on
reflection, I don't think it's much use.

The problem is that the bench support has to transmit the loads, shock
loads in this case are the problem, into the floor. Wood will flex just
enough to convert the shock load into a short spread of load - in short
it's an very short term energy store. Concrete just doesn't do that so
well, and the weak points will be the mortar joins and the places the
wooden top to meets the blocks. The only way round it is to put some
other energy store into the system, rubber blocks and steel wires in
tension might help, but the wood is easier.

R.