Posted to alt.home.repair
peter peter is offline

Default where to buy cheap polystyrene foam board?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"peter" wrote in news:7IOXg.10$3C6.5@trnddc04:

I want to buy about a dozen pieces of polystyrene foam board to tape
to my windows/doors/fireplace as temporary insulation for the season.
Home stores sell them: 1.5 inch x 2 feet x 4 feet for $4. This seems
pretty expensive, consider this is what most people throw out after
unpacking a boxed product. OK, the ones sold by home stores have an
extra plastic sheet (vapor barrior) and R-factors printed on them. I
can live without these extras.

Where can I buy foam boards at lower price? I don't need the vapor
barrior or R factor.

are you planning on not seeing out of your windows or getting any light
in?

Why not construct wood frames with a sheet of clear plastic stretched over
it,to fit into your window recesses as a "storm window"?

It is a test to see if insulating the windows would lower the heating bill
significantly. If it does, then I may upgrade the windows to better ones.

A sheet of plastic film will stop heat loss due to air leakage, but not heat
loss due to air convection, or due to conduction. Although, a sheet of film
over a window frame traps some air inside and slow down the convection, so
it should have some insulating effect.