Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default caulk sealant difference?

"RicodJour" wrote in
oups.com:

On Oct 12, 6:29 am, "buffalobill" wrote:
see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caulking

There's a picture on that web page of a soldier using a caulking gun.
The caption indicates that he's using silicone caulk to fill the gap
between a baseboard and the wall. Silicone caulk, unless specifically
stated otherwise on the tube, is not paintable. From the looks of the
tube of DAP he's using, it's more likely a siliconized acrylic caulk.
I wonder how many people will be mislead by that picture, use silicone
caulk in a similar application, and find out to their horror what a
nightmare it is getting rid of the silicone so the next coat of paint
will stick.

what a
nightmare it is getting rid of the silicone so the next coat of paint
will stick.

Once finding out about the blunder, I would think the easiest solution is
to put paintable silicone over the existing silicone.