RichardS

Default Three worktop questions

"Grunff" wrote in message
John Greenwood wrote:

1. Is there any reason why I cannot cut the hole for my sink in-situ,

i.e.
with the worktop in place and screwed to the carcasses. This seems

easier to
me, avoids having to move the worktop and risking it breaking due to it
being weakened by the cut out.

Yes, there is a reason - you'll most likely be cutting it with a
jigsaw, so you need to cut from below in order to avoid tearing
the lamintate off.

You could use a downcut blade, but IMO they are difficult to
use, and don't produce great results (because they're constantly
pushing the jigsaw away from the surface).

snip

They work beautifully with a nice, heavy Atlas Copco industrial jigsaw.....
;-)

Think that the trick is to position yourself so that you've got you body
weight bearing down on the jigsaw - I agree that they're more difficult to
control, but positively preventing any vertical movement of the jigsaw seems
to do the trick.

Failing that, score deeply (taking care not to slip and mark visible
sections of worktop) on the cut line and just just to the inside of it.

cheers
Richard
--
Richard Sampson