Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Stepping in one area causes furniture to wobble

On 13 Oct 2006 08:53:51 -0700, "BobK207" wrote:

Scramblur wrote:
Hello all,

I just setup a new entertainment center in my home. The home is from
the 50's and has wood floors. The ent center is big and heavy. When I
walk through the entrance way, that is about 4 feet from the ent
center, stepping on a certain area, about 2 square feet in size, causes
the entertainment center to shake. The unit is not off blanace, I
cannot shake it by hand myself, but if I was to hop in this one area,
the unit shakes a lot. Even when my 35 lb dog walks thorugh this area,
the system vibrates a lot.

If the thing is up against a wall, and after trying whatever you
can conveniently do to stiffen/support the floor,
you can put down a pad of high-density foam (like a camping
pad) under a sheet if plywood under the entertainment center,
and then screw the furniture to the wall. If the exposed edge
of the plywood and foam offends you, staple a cloth skirt around
it, or attach moulding to the floor, but not the plywood.