Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to buy cheap polystyrene foam board?

"peter" wrote in message news:7IOXg.10$3C6.5@trnddc04...
I want to buy about a dozen pieces of polystyrene foam board to tape to my
windows/doors/fireplace as temporary insulation for the season. Home stores
sell them: 1.5 inch x 2 feet x 4 feet for $4. This seems pretty expensive,
consider this is what most people throw out after unpacking a boxed
product. OK, the ones sold by home stores have an extra plastic sheet
(vapor barrior) and R-factors printed on them. I can live without these
extras.

Where can I buy foam boards at lower price? I don't need the vapor barrior
or R factor.

Why not use the clear plastic shrink film? If you get the taped surfaces
clean, the tape sticks well, and I've had no problem removing it in the
spring. I've been eyeing my fireplace with the idea of using that same film
on the brass insert, but the film hasn't applied itself yet. I'll probably
have to do it myself.