Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] manatbandq@hotmail.com is offline

Default Suggestions on how to put a slot in wood - constructional project

On Oct 13, 2:06 pm, Stuart wrote:
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:15:13 +0100, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

I have five 150mm x 150mm posts, (pressure impregnated soft wood), and these
are structural posts for a car port & garage.

The fixing for these is that there are base plates fixed to concrete,
proving a 200mm T section steel upright onto which these posts slide, and
they are then are through bolted to it.

Pic onhttp://tinyurl.co.uk/pri5 if my power of description is not to
good.

The steel of the blade that they slide onto is 8mm plate which I have had
galvanised ... just measured and it's 'about' 8.5mm thick on average.

So at one end of each post I need to cut a slot right though the post
(i.e.from one face to another on the centre line), either 8.5mm thick or
perhaps 9mm.
My only thought so far are to use a router, cutting from both sides ... but
it's still asking a lot ... at least 75mm depth of cut and only 9mm wide.
I have a hand held router.

Any other suggestions ?

It needs to be neat, straight, and square ended

Rick

I'm a wee bit confused .I can see that you just need to cut the one slot as the
other part of the plate abuts the back of the post but according to the diagram
the distance from the top of the plate to the support part joining the vertical
parts of the plate is 200mm but you are saying the slot only needs to be 75mm
deep . ??

No, read it again, he said it would require a cut at least 75mm deep if
cutting the slot from both sides. Nowhere does he state that it is only
75mm deep.

MBQ